We’re happy to announce the arrival of Charles Owen at 4:13am! He’s a very talkative little guy who weighs in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces and is 20 inches long.

We think he’s a keeper. Even Brown Dog.

Mom and baby are doing well after a 24 hour, medication-free delivery with tireless assistance from grandma Laurel. If Charles inherits his mother’s determination, he will most likely conquer the world. Unfortunately, all he seems to have inherited from me is the classic family hairline. Sorry, Charlie.

What an indescribable feeling to look into his mother’s eyes as I heard Charles’ first cries. They say your world changes when you see your baby for the first time. It’s true. In ways I haven’t even imagined yet. Sarah and I are both still adjusting to the strange and wonderful reality that he’s ours.

But, as I’ve been holding little Chuck Bear (one of his many nicknames already), what I’m really surprised by is what that reality means. Charles is ours, yes. Ours to care for, but not to possess.

What a relief to feel God’s hands under mine as I rock him to sleep. Peace.

And here are a few more photos from Charles’ first day with visitors.

Advertisements

Posted by Wildman

Husband. Dad. Pastor. I like to capture moments, pull their threads, and see what unravels. Lead well, read well, think well. And grace. Lots of grace.

11 Comments

1. So, so happy for you! BEAUTIFUL pictures. Can’t wait to meet him.

2. Debbie Sherling January 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Yay! So adorable. And I agree with Mandy . . . great pictures! Sarah is my new hero!!

1. Thanks, Debbie. I’m with you — Sarah is pretty much amazing!

3. JoNell Brooks...aka...Aunt Jo January 6, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Charles is beautiful baby. He is blessed to have Sarah and Owen for his parents. I know you will do a great job raising this child. He is loved already by many people.

1. We are so thankful to have so many sweet family and friends to help us along the journey. It’s going to be an adventure! Next time you’re driving through Dallas, you’ll have to stop by!

4. He is perfection in a blanket! Congratulations, my friend, life will never be the same again!

1. Thank you, Alice! We’ve decided we’ll keep him. The return policy at this hospital is terrible! 🙂

5. […] You’ve seen the photos from yesterday, haven’t […]

6. Woohoo! HalleluYah, congratulations to you and your wife brother! A blessing of the Most High! Thank you for sharing!
    Glory to the One who sits enthroned in the heights forever!
    E